Friday, November 9, 2007

Creativity soars ... like a drowsy mammal!

In class Thursday we took a half-baked flier for The Sleepy Weasel, brainstormed heads for it and wrote a few. I'll post some of the more creative heads below. But first, time out for an experiment.

The Blogger dashboard tells me if you click on the "Compose" tab and go to one of those picture icons in the header, you can post pictures you have stored on your computer. I'm going to try, by clicking on the little icon that looks like a photo.

Browse. Click.

Well, I'll be darned! It worked!

There it is.

A lot easier than it used to be.

Now, for the heads you wrote. The envelope, please. Let's take them in alphabetical order:

  • Lauren wrote: "The Sleepy Weasel Prowls Again." I really like "prowls." It sounds like something a weasel would do. When I'm using display type, sometimes I'll put "Weasel" in italics, and sometime I won't. Depends on what the letters look like in that face, especially if the ascenders get to pointing in different directions. With me, it has nothing to do with the rules for italics and Roman type -- it's entirely visual. Good head, anyway. Look for it on bulletin boards around campus.
  • Jessica: "Hey! You little weasel. Let's go weaseling in the SLEEPY WEASEL (except she used another typeface we don't have in Blogger).
  • Alyssa wrote: "Wake up the Sleepy Weasel with your creative stories or poems!" Not bad, not bad at all. Look for a shorter version of it on bulletin boards around campus, along with Lauren's.
  • Claire brainstormed several ideas that have a lot of potential: "What do you call a drowsy mammal? A SLEEPY WEASEL." Another: "If the weasel wakes and sees his shadow, we know it's time for the SLEEPY WEASEL." "My favorite: "Here we go a-Weaseling!" Get into Microsoft Word and try setting that in Old English Text, and you'll see what I mean. Ho ho ho.
  • Becky's was sheer poetry: "Roses are red. Violets are blue. Our Weasel's out of stories ... so we need YOU!" Right now we've got plenty of stories in the can, but Becky didn't know that. I think it will be an effective head the next time we are hard up for copy (it happens every year).
  • Zach: "Weasel Your Way In" and "Whistle for your Waking Weasel." Or this: "Waking Early for Weasel's Easel." I don't know what any of that means, but I like thealliteration, rhyme and wordplay.

As long as we're talking about The Sleepy Weasel, by the way, all of you are eligible to submit copy, too. A lot of the stuff in the magazine started out as a paper for somebody's class, in fact. Help us recycle, and help yourself to get a start on your portfolio. Here's a link to the gate page. Take a look around, and see what you've got on your hard drive to contribute.

No comments: