Thursday, October 18, 2007

Looky, looky what Blogger can do!

You can edit text, which ought to be of keen interest to us in COMM 207, and you can even show how you edited it. Here's an example from a recent post to this blog, the author of which I shall not identify here:
I guess it could be argued that readers of "The Swamp" are likely to be political junkies who are used to drawing conclusions about political poles, polls, but I still think somebody's reaching a little too hard for a political angle here. The story is about Al Gore's being awarded the Nobel Prize, but that isn't my problem. What I have a problem with is the way The Trib handled the survey research data here.
See how "poles" is struck through (stricken through? neither one of them sounds right) and "polls" is underlined? The strikethrough means to delete something, and the underline means to add it. You see them used a lot in drafts of bills in the legislature and other legal documents.

How did I indent that block quote? Would you believe there's a bracket-blockquote-bracket tag? Would you believe I'd been doing Web publishing six years before I discovered how to do it? Here's a link to the Webmonkey HTML Cheatsheet. It lists a whole series of common HTML tags (not all of which you can use in Blogger), and it gives you an idea of how much you can do in HTML. Notice how 99.99 percent of the tags come in pairs?

No comments: